Tuesday 16 March 2021

A Long Hike in the Snow. Clydebank Circular.

                                                      ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.

This is another post from the snow week I enjoyed. Having a dump of snow on the ground revitalized me personally and also cut down the number of people using popular walking routes to a trickle. This time I decided to walk along the canal to Clydebank and Dalmuir. A circular hike of around 8 to 10 miles but I had no plans to meet anyone else and kept at least ten feet away from people at all times. (I usually do that anyway. pre and post covid.... disloyal, fickle, often grubby, creatures all. Now I've got a taste for it I may increase it to 50 feet apart in future- the further away the better!)

So off I trotted on my lonesome through Clydebank beside the frozen canal...

past frozen trees....

until I came to Dalmuir.

 From here I took a short cut under the railway lines via a tunnel... with the usual shabby chic decor.

and emerged... not in hell... but in Clydebank Public Park. As it sits on a hill with extensive views over Renfrewshire it's a favourite of mine and a green jewel of the area.

 Being in direct sunlight and close to sea level most of the snow on this south facing slope had melted already, showing I was just in time for what I wanted to do here. I'd been in this park many times before so what I was interested in was Clydebank Golf Course, which sits directly above it, and only accessible on foot if snow bound and thus empty of flying golf balls. 


A view here of the Kilpatrick Hills and as you can see in this photo the public park and golf course is really the lower, more manicured, slopes of these same hills, only separated by the A82 dual carriageway. It was a golf course I'd never been on before so this was a rare opportunity to explore it. I also knew from reputation that it was one of the steepest and most interesting courses to play with loads of ups and downs.


The local Dalmuir and Clydebank folk loved it as well with loads of families out sledging. The highest point of Clydebank Park here where it meets the golf course.

 I soon found out as I climbed higher it was perfect for learning to ski or snowboard as well, steep enough for skis or board to start moving but a gentle enough angle to allow good snow plough turns, or bunny hops, or even tricky cross country telemark turns. It was better and more extensive for beginners than any of the city plastic ski slopes I've been on ....the main drawback being no ski tows after a km long downhill run. A great descent but without a tow back up not one you could repeat too many times before exhaustion set in.

 Another view of it showing the true angle of the slope. I really enjoyed this walk, especially as it was new ground and new views after a year of over familiarity and small circular walking routes closer to home which no longer inspire much joy in me I have to admit.

Good views as well from the upper levels.

 As you can see you would get a belter of a long run here. This is the year round shortcut lane through the golf course for walkers on right.

I went up to the highest point where you would get a fantastic long run at the slope. As golf courses go it gives a good impression of a ski jump.

 The other half of the golf course, seen here on the right, was flatter, reached by a wooden bridge over a stream.

  Closer view of it here... a hidden dip exists at this point so if you were on skis or sledge you would have to be very careful as gorse bushes and other obstacles could be a painful threat for the unwary.

 Steep rugged ground hidden from above and sudden drop in the distance..

 Snakes and ladders terrain.

 The other half of the golf course was less rugged, flatter, but had a pleasant open aspect I liked.

Deeper snow here as well.


 A lovely course... on foot... or skis. Got it just before the snow melted off it. There is a hedge lined lane crossing this golf course from the park to woodland above and the A82 pavement which makes a good scenic all year round walk, even when golfers are playing.

 Returned via a different route through Clydebank. A great day out.

Hungry but too knackered to cook anything fancy so corned beef, mash and beans made a filling dinner, ready in a short space of time.

















8 comments:

Anabel Marsh said...

Familiar with the canal but not the golf course. Another interesting post!

Carol said...

Those are the sort of conditions I WOULD go out in! I love snow (apart from having to drive to work in it as this winter). The only bad thing about where I've moved to is that there doesn't seem to be any handy sledging around here!

Rosemary said...

I haven't eaten cornbeef for years and years, but have made a traditional cornbeef hash twice during this current lockkdown. A fes tins stacked away on the shelves has proved to be a useful commodity to have around these days of staying safe.
I like the photo of the Swan's head and that frozen tree.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Anabel,
It's an unusual golf course and that Clydebank Park then lane walk through it up past the crematorium and along a section of the Clyde Coastal Route at Duntocher or down the A82 is good at any time of year.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Carol,
you seem to have a habit of living in areas with things missing.... i.e Dragonflies, Damselflies, certain birds... now decent grass slopes are gone!

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Rosemary,
It's a favorite of mine, along with tinned steak pie and oven chips, spag bol, pasta and mince, microwave curries etc... all things that are quick and very easy to make and prepare if I get in after a hard day or too late to faff around much in the kitchen.

Carol said...

it's just England - it's devoid of most things I think!

Kay G. said...

What lovely photos of snowy scenes! I haven't seen snow for several years now but I must say, like fireworks I can live without it. I've seen it!😊