Friday 8 October 2021

Glasgow 2021. City Centre Bike Ride. New Buildings in Glasgow Last Few Years.

                                                  ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.

 

As it's been around two years since my last visit into Glasgow City Centre I was curious to see any new changes or buildings going up over that time period so a cycle run was planned by myself while the weather was still warm, end of September 2021 this was. I knew something was occurring as over the last year half a dozen cranes in the financial district and city centre could be spotted from a distance. This view from King's Park on the south side being the most recent. 

 

I set off on the western outskirts of the city and was soon passing Yoker district , seen here, on the Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycle track. This takes the hard work out of cycling as it's mostly a flat run all the way on a disused railway line. Some of these can be like cycling in a subterranean rut with zero views and high grassy sides but this one is slightly elevated by around 10 to 20 feet most of the way so good views of the surroundings are a given.

 Passing Whiteinch district here and a few new built apartments. For a city the size of Glasgow, that once built vast council estates of affordable rented housing for its citizens in all areas of the city and outskirts, 5,000 /10,000 to 40,000 households in each development I often wonder how and where ordinary folk live now. This is a nice development with good use of colour that was sadly lacking in the Dumbarton new builds half a dozens posts ago but all these modern clusters are tiny- not inside but the amount of area they cover and citizens they house, often under 100 units to replace old estates that housed many 1000s at their peak in the 1960s to 1990s  yet Glasgow, after a long population decline is apparently rising again, not by much but a definite increase. So I sometimes wonder where the ordinary folk of the city live these days... but more on that in the next post- Glasgow Part Two.

 

Next stop for a photo is the last shipyard still operating on the upper River Clyde...

 A new warship being built at the BAE Systems yard, one of several completed here over the last 10 to 15 years with the rest now operating in active service from their base around Portsmouth in England. HMS Duncan being one I remember seeing hereabouts during construction and now an active type 45 air defense destroyer patrolling the seas worldwide.

A close up view.

On the opposite bank of the river from the ship, the side I was on, is the comparatively new Glasgow Harbour development (2007 on-wards... might be more buildings to come eventually as vacant riverside frontage is still available here, given a demand and appetite for more luxury apartments, as I'd imagine they are not that cheap- Around £100,000-140.000 for a one bed to £270,000-300,000 for a 3 bed apartment hereabouts ). I always like this stretch though, walking or cycling along it slowly, and usually take this detour down to see the river frontage. The main cycle lane here is sightly inland away from the river views.  


 

I'd seen the weather forecast before I set off and sunny spells plus occasional heavy showers were predicted, brightening up as the afternoon developed further so I thought I'd take the chance. Dark clouds making an appearance here over the Broomhill Flats.


 I just made it to this small boat harbour at the Riverside Museum, looking back to Glasgow Harbour ( where there isn't an actual harbour ) when it started to rain, light at first then a torrential downpour.

 Within minutes all the children out roller skating, cycling, happy tourists walking or sitting around this wide, open plan museum plaza were either safely ensconced within the building itself or sheltering under its arches, clustered in sudden misery around the outside in huddled bunches. I took shelter under some nearby trees instead in my usual splendid isolation and classic voyeur detachment mode.

" I always vant to be alone!"....I intoned to myself..... like G.G... I had full waterproofs in my rucksack, strapped to the bike, but it was a bit of a faff to get them out and on and then they'd be sodden afterwards so trees in full leaf provided a better, quicker, option as it was still fairly warm and I didn't think it would last long.. My T- shirt got damp from drips not soaking wet so was bearable in a late September climate. Something I've noticed before with this museum though is that it is 15 minutes walk from the nearest bus or train station in Partick. Not much of a distance in dry weather but long enough to get completely soaked in poor conditions like this as it rains a lot in Glasgow, there's not much shelter on the journey down here, until this point, when you are nearly there anyway. Not everyone thinks ahead and packs an umbrella or full waterproofs so they must welcome a fair share of soggy people through the doors. It's a museum of transportation by the way with cars, trams, bicycles, railway engines, model ships and a recreated old street of period shops- all indoors out the rain. And a tall full masted ship to explore berthed nearby that is surprisingly spacious below decks.

 After about 20 minutes it cleared up and the sun came out again... so, impatient to get off and get into the City Centre I remounted my metal steed and galloped towards the buildings I could see in the distance, mental spurs digging in with gusto. Glasgow Tower and the glass and steel apartments of Finnieston here in this photo.

I'd only gone a km or so down the cycle-track when the rain came on again, as heavy as before so I sheltered behind some large billboards, and as luck would have it this was directly opposite the long stretch of mural arches along the Clydeside Expressway.

 Sheltering behind the billboards across from the railway arches. Although slightly annoying this did give me a chance to capture some murals I might have missed last time around.

Diver mural...

Bird and fish...


Face....


female....hopefully...


Street Dads...


person in small wooden boat... or swing...         after another 15 minutes the rain dwindled to a light drizzle so I set off again....

 Like the ancient mariner and his albatross however this troublesome black cloud did not want to disappear and kept following me relentlessly... slowly...  and rather inconveniently for me... moving exactly at 'bob bike speed' so that it kept me within its gloomy shadow throughout, like a kind of Scottish movable Mordor. Dark cloud over Glasgow Tower here.

Raining again near Partick and the University of Glasgow student flats... sunshine and blue skies just a mile away...

 West Village at Partick captured in a rare sunny moment beside the River Kelvin...it's all student flats here in this photo.

 After crossing Bell's Bridge at Finnieston I had good views of the Science Centre and the Queen Mary, a period passenger ship being restored here.

 A closer view of the TS Queen Mary, a large steamship built in the early 1930s to carry locals and tourists around the Clyde Coastal resorts and the western seaboard of Scotland with Yorkhill Hospital in the background. I thought I'd successfully dodged the dark cloud with this sneaky sideways detour but the stubborn bugger found me again with a third heavy downpour. The same damn black cloud all three times! Someone was steering it from above!

By this time I'd moved from damp to very wet... but still defiantly wearing just a  T- shirt... sodden through and dripping....yet still unbroken and unbowed!

Clydeport Crane here. In the rain....! There's only a dozen or so of these massive cantilever cranes capable of lifting 100 to 150 plus tons left around the world and the River Clyde has four of them, highlighting how important shipbuilding was to the continued growth of the city during it's industrial and manufacturing past when a large percentage of the world's ships started life on the banks of this modest but vital river.

Armadillo Concert Hall, Hydro Venue, and Bell's Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge 

 Crowne Plaza Hotel at Finnieston.


Skypark and Courtyard Hotel Building at Finnieston. One thing that strikes you is the abundance of hotels around Glasgow City Centre district. Dozens of them and large ones at that. Edinburgh with it's unique volcanic rugged skyline, hilltop castle, and preserved cobbled streets is a big tourist draw with overseas visitors but Glasgow must do alright as well when you count up the sheer number of beds available here. 

Radisson Red...All these hotels are around Finnieston district.... apparently this one is the first new build of this type in Europe. Rooftop bar (visible in above photo perhaps?) and excellent views over city for guests. £65 plus a night currently not too bad for what you get with great living room/ bedroom panoramas high up. I  know there's another Radisson beside Central Station, probably a different colour, and maybe some more elsewhere in the vicinity but it is a world I know very little about. I've only stayed in less than a dozen hotels or B & Bs in my life, mostly in Australia, and the cheaper the better as my personal preference. I'd much rather be in a campsite, bunkhouse, or bothy, winter or summer, so this particular Glasgow of luxury fine dining, 4 and 5 star hotels, and posh indoor entertainments of any kind is a complete mystery to me.

 Another building near Anderston District.  I do not remember seeing this view or high grey wall the last time I cycled past here but I'm maybe wrong about that. It is mostly grey from this side...


But looking very different from the other side of the building and I do remember seeing it from this angle, funnily enough, although some parts of this area are still being developed...


Waterfront cycling between Finnieston and Anderston districts. Clyde Arc Bridge. All this area is on the cycle track beside the river, mostly away from traffic on wide shared pavements/ cycle paths.

 

Walkway/ cycle-track seen here with several newspaper premises in view. Rain cloud still shadowing my progress relentlessly.


 


Don't remember this the last time either although it might have been there and I've just missed it. A nicely designed mosaic by local schoolchildren to commemorate a massive fire in a local building at Cheapside Street in Anderston that claimed the life of some of the firefighters attending the blaze.

 The impressive former  Co-Op HQ over in Kingston district beside the Kingston Bridge. Built late 1800s in a French Renaissance style with cute little windows in the domes. Back in the 1970s, as a young apprentice, my gaffer took me in here occasionally for breakfast as it had an upper floor canteen selling a decent roll and sausage, roll and bacon ,egg etc... nothing fancy but good plain grub and it was never that busy so we got served right away. A building I've always admired but what drew my eye towards it this time was the gleaming golden stature on top. Blasted, like myself, with recent rain showers it positively sparkled when the sun came out- just like me ... one would hope.

So I looked it up.... Link here...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14625249.kenny-mackays-light-life-golden-statue-replaced-former-co-op-building-glasgow/


That's part one and I've not even reached the city centre yet where any new buildings would be found...would I find it changed since my last visit....?  would I ever dry out...? or would it continue raining on my parade....?
















8 comments:

Carol said...

Well you got nothing like as wet as I got yesterday! I left home (where it was fine weather) and went down to Newlands Valley (nr. Keswick) on my day off. I started my walk in very wet weather thinking that the forecast had said only light rain so it would probably easy off. After 3 hours, I'd done my hills but all except my bra were completely soaked - it had been really windy as well. I could have done the same amount of hills near my home but staying dry! grrr!

Certainly a day of contrasts weatherwise - at least you could see it coming with those very black clouds.

Didn't know they were restoring The Queen Mary. I didn't know you still had a shipyard left either.

blueskyscotland said...

Serves you right for going up hills in the first place Carol at this time of year. Tis the drenching season of old... Lost count of the number of times I got soaked up mountains on the west coast only to drive into sunshine either out east or in the flatter lowlands once away from the hills. Even in good days without a lowland cloud in a blue sky there's usually some lingering over the mountains. Hard to believe that old ship held 13,000 passengers every week in its prime. You might be thinking of the larger transatlantic Ocean Liner Queen Mary 2?

Rosemary said...

I don't think there is anything here that I recognise from my time spent living in Glasgow.
It is good that the TS Queen Mary steamship is being restored. Will it then offer tourists and locals trips again?

Anabel Marsh said...

Most of that route is familiar to me, though I’m always on foot and I don’t think I would persevere in that weather! I have a photo of that mosaic which shows the plaque, dating it to 2010, the 50th anniversary of the Cheapside fire.

Carol said...

It was my only possible day to go up the hill so I had to really. But I wanted at least 2 hills and if I'd gone for Binsey and his mate in the dry weather, I'd still have got 2 hills so I really should have stuck to that!

By the way, I love that mosaic too!

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Rosemary,
Hopefully they might as anytime I've seen the Waverly passing it's always busy, which tends to put me off.

blueskyscotland said...

Being a local Anabel, the second part of the gallery should interest you more with very new buildings, some not completed yet. I just had too many photographs to fit into one post.

Andy Jones said...

I'd have really enjoyed that bike ride. Urban architecture is something I love to view and been lucky enough to see lots of examples old and new on my recent European City trips.
The artwork on those murals is extraordinary - some very talented street artists out there.