Saturday 5 February 2022

Faifley to Jaw Reservoir Walk. The Slacks.

                                                   ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.

 

After my previous walk along the circular Drumchapel Way skirting around the outer edge of that giant housing estate, when I had entertained the thought of continuing on across open countryside to reach Faifley, a small part of which is seen above, before half the sole of my boot fell off, was a notion that continued to stick in my head.  Faifley, a small estate of two, three, and four storey tenements reminds me greatly of both South Nitshill and Arden, in its size, general layout, and look- all housing developments of my youth imprinted into my lived in DNA with around 4000 to 5000 residents in each one. Which is probably why I immediately feel a closeness and connection every time I step off the bus here.  Most of my own estate was demolished years ago but this is a still intact suitable doppelganger for it. So much so that it almost feels like it could be my teenage home. I've never lived in Faifley myself only worked in it over the years but at a deeper instinctive level I feel completely comfortable here as I understand it, having grown up in a similar environment.

 Like my own estate of Nitshill and Greater Pollok, Faifley also has fantastic varied scenery five minutes from the door. A real life Narnia wardrobe moment for residents - you can simply step into it at any age and leave that urban city life behind... either from your house or straight off the bus as a visitor. A short stroll up Waulkingmill Road beside Edinbarnet Primary school ( seen in first photo) brought me to the edge of the wooded wild. From here several paths lead up through the woods towards higher fields, a few large mansions, and various secluded detached properties hidden in the trees, then the broad open slope of the Kilpatrick Hills is encountered and half a dozen reservoirs higher up.

Surprisingly, this close to the last tenements in Faifley, I spotted a young roe deer furtively slinking through the undergrowth. Barking dogs in nearby kennels had made it skittish.

And a buzzard... seen below.


Instantly, although I felt happy already, I was in a different world. And deeply in love. With nature. A passionate affair that lasts a lifetime... and doesn't cost much at all.

... and with scenery like this, five minutes into a walk, I could not ask for more. As sweet as any lovers kiss....


 ... and with woodland paths like this to follow... in dazzling golden sunlight...autumn leaves and fallen nuts crunching softly under every footfall... I became a character in a pop up book...a situation as addictive as any drug... which path to take?... and what other characters might I meet there?... endless possibilities simply by being outdoors....

 and one I've been hooked on since early childhood... when everything in the world... even if it's just for a day...goes right..... and the entire planet exists to revolves around you....and smiles down affectionately .... or so it seems. That familiar intense euphoria that even being a billionaire with your own private jet and island could not replicate. Complete tranquility and simple joy, moment by moment, step by wondrous step, through this sacred ancient realm. The freedom of the huddled masses to dream and use their imagination, which may not cost a penny sometimes.( free bus travel in this instance.) A glimpse of a fairy tale castle in the woods, above. 

Once through the woods at Auchnacraig a signposted path on Cochno Road leads up through fields to the higher slopes.

Passing several remote houses then a grand mansion house and grounds belonging to the University of Glasgow.

Do not know if this observatory is still in use or obsolete but you pass near it on the path up to Jaw Reservoir.

 With warm autumn sunshine pouring down, a blue sky above, and perfectly still conditions these sheep seemed as relaxed about life as I was on this particular day.

Higher sheep pastures and farms above Faifley.

 As I climbed higher up the slopes the day changed in outlook with murky conditions and clouds sweeping in to dominate the lower districts. A hazy view of Clydebank here replacing the clear blue skies of the morning.

 The best of the day was now over with distance views across the city partially obscured and hard to photograph. That could not erase the sheer magic of a very special morning though. Golden and precious hours every one.

The waterfall outflow that pours from the Jaw Reservoir, indicating that I've almost reached my destination.

Part of Jaw Reservoir and black cattle herd. The only reservoir up here with a large island for its heart. I climbed up to the summit of the nearby Slacks at 365 metres or 1197 feet then returned down the same way with a few lower path variations to Faifley. A circular loop down a completely different track is also available. A day of two halves with a superb sparkling morning followed by a murky bland afternoon. But what a morning! Honey straight from Heaven.


 Unusual reservoir sign.  On such a morning I felt I could walk on water... but wisely I did not try it here.















5 comments:

Carol said...

Didn't know you had quicksands around there! We do of course around The Solway - Richard nearly has a heart-attack each time I take to the estuarial sands around here!

Lovely light for photos in those woods and that waterfall looks spectacular!

Anabel Marsh said...

Have been up there a few times, but not for a while. Nice walk.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Carol,
Yes it was a fantastic morning and the woodland paths in that area are beautiful. Probably the grounds of yet another grand estate in days of yore as it has that same wide range of mature trees and mixed landscapes I'm very familiar with from my own early wanderings.

blueskyscotland said...

Yep Anabel, still a great outing. Another walk from Faifley, the Clyde Coastal Path leads to Tambowie and Milngavie and is equally scenic yet very quiet any time I've done it. If you wish to find real solitude head for the Central Belt rather than the Scottish Highlands I've found. Last time I visited Skye it was absolutely heaving with tourists- edge of a major city... and it's usually empty. Go figure that one :)

Carol said...

Actually, I think you're very right about the central belt and the edges of urban areas being quieter nowadays (and often just as nice) - food for thought!