Wednesday 21 December 2022

Siberia on The Kelvin. Life Below Zero in Glasgow. December 2022.

                                                    ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.


 

The month of November just passed in 2022 was a mild month with above average temperatures but the first two weeks of December 2022 more than made up for that. When the dominant weather front drifts down from the Arctic North or blows in from the East freezing temperatures occur over the UK

 

Binghams Pond. Glasgow. After about a week of sub zero temperatures, even during the daylight hours and a sustained ten days of minus 5 to minus 10 degrees at night... even in outlying city districts... I decided to take a few walks to see how the local wildlife was doing.


 


Most of the large pond beside Gartnavel Hospital remained solid ice but the swans and geese circling all night, being the heavier birds here, managed to keep this part of the pond open. I think the smaller birds, like ducks and gulls, would struggle to keep it ice free on their own.

 

Even the day I was out the temperature was around minus 5 and foggy with frost covering the outlying pavements all day without the sun to burn it off. It was enjoyable though- something different.


 

 

Next came the Botanic Gardens which I passed through to reach the River Kelvin.


 

It too was frozen solid in both directions. Downstream view.



Upstream view. The day before, the temperature, even in the city, was predicted to reach minus 10 degrees so it was the morning after that very cold night I decided on a walk. Further downstream a large weir and several rapids turned the ice back to running water again but on the gentle slow stretches like this one it could freeze over from bank to bank.

 Still misty and very chilly down here within the Kelvin Gorge walkway.

 

Inn Deep, Bars and Restaurant under the arches below Kelvinbridge.



 

Dog and human mural.


 Kelvingrove Park came next with an intrepid cyclist panting up an impressive incline to reach the summit of the park.


 December in Kelvingrove Park looking across at the lights of the University of Glasgow. Dark by 4:00pm in Glasgow at this time of year. Especially on a foggy day like this one.

 

The River Kelvin Walkway below the tumbling weir. Liquid surface again.


 


University of Glasgow next.


 The entrance gates on University Avenue.


 Deus Ex Machina... as they say in Rome.

 

An atmospheric and misty River Kevin gorge with the Glasgow University tower lit up.

 

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum from the University Tower.


 

 

 Kelvin Hall.

 Partick at night.


 Heading along Dumbarton Road in Partick to get a bus back.


 No sign here of frost on these pavements thanks to busy traffic, numerous shop windows, and loads of pedestrians throughout the day and night. Always a populous place this.

 

Dumbarton Road shops and soon my bus homeward arrived. An enjoyable day out. Merry Christmas everybody.... and best wishes.
 


14 comments:

Carol said...

I was really annoyed about that weather and I hope I never see anything like it again! You were brave walking round parks on all that ice - it was seriously dangerous here as my next post should illustrate.

Anabel Marsh said...

Merry Christmas to you too! I was ok till Sat/Sun when our street was just a sheet of glass so I didn’t venture across the threshold all weekend. Too much form falling over and injuring myself!

Rosemary said...

I feel the same as Carol - everywhere was really icy and dangerous. I didn't want to risk having a fall. Who wants a fractured limb when especially when there are no ambulances or nurses to call on and care for you?

blueskyscotland said...

It was OK that day Carol. Dry and frosty and many of the paths had grit down. I only slipped once going over that stone bridge in the Kelvin Hall photo. A few days later it was very dangerous and I stayed in as the thaw had started and overnight rain had coated streets and pavements in sheet ice. Would have been loads of falls and car accidents then. Good internet tip is to pull an old pair of thick socks over your shoes as that stops slips to a certain extent if you have to go out.

blueskyscotland said...

Merry Xmas Anabel,
Yes I stayed in on the days it rained and turned the streets really icy. Glad the mild weather is back again as I had to put the heating on when it went below zero to stop the pipes freezing. Anything above freezing I'm happy with.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Rosemary,
yes, I prefer the milder weather these days. I stopped cycling my bike at the start of the pandemic in Spring and haven't started again since as that was one activity I always seemed to have a number of near accidents, nearly every time I went out on it. Walking is a lot safer. (famous last words!)

Carol said...

I know about the walking in socks bit - I used to do that well before the internet...

Kay G. said...

Oh my goodness, I do hope you bundled up in that cold! Beautiful photos! Merry Christmas!!

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Kay,
Merry Christmas over there.

Robert Craig said...

This gives me a serious hankering for a walk around Glasgow! Pity the poor waterfowl - the island in Townhill Loch in Fife is normally a haven for birds. But with the recent chill, the sight of fox prints crossing the loch told their own a story.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi R.C.
yes a double whammy as my local park pond has bird flu and I found two dead swans recently, only bones and wings left so eaten by foxes either sleeping on the ice at night or ill with bird flu and easier to catch. Mammals can get it as well and pass it around so not good.

Carol said...

we can get it too as it's zoonotic

blueskyscotland said...

Sounds like a 1970s rock band.

Carol said...

It hasn't been used yet so there might be one eventually! We learned it at agricultural college...