Sunday 9 April 2023

A Walk Around Leverndale and Pollok in Autumn.

                                                  ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.

This is a post from Autumn 2020  that I found recently that I thought I'd already posted on the blog but apparently not. Instead I put up a post entitled 'Woodlands of the Mind' from November 2020 partly inspired by my walk with Anne here and recollections of a memory from the 1960s that I knew about. Barrhead Road above, beside Househill Park, a lesser known Glasgow Park but an attractive one, especially in autumn. It resides a mere ten minute walk away from Pollok's Silverburn Shopping Centre.

 

A couple of these photos I've used for other posts but this is the collection appearing as a whole for this walk. Househill Park, above. This park appears on both banks of the Levern Water and is mainly known by locals but it can be extended by following a green tree lined sward/meadow with several paths through it along Barrhead Road, B762, to the Hurlet. I completely forgot how beautiful it was until this autumn walk reminded me and I thought then 'I'll come back here.' This Easter weekend I did just that and much more so to keep it in sequence this is the original post that inspired two more very enjoyable recent days out. 



 

I really enjoyed growing up in Pollok and Nitshill and the landscape surrounding this district, as seen above, was a large part of that appeal for me. This photo sums it up perfectly. Mature deciduous woodlands, open meadows, streams, dairy cattle, some fields of crops, and romantic rolling ridges stretching to the far horizon made it a wonderland for a nature lover and explorer.  Friends and fellow walkers in clubs have come and gone over the various decades, like leaves blowing from autumn trees, but a deep love of nature has proved an eternal companion for me. And it probably started right here. Who wouldn't be inspired to explore this amazing landscape, above... if it was on their doorstep.


 The Levern Water. A very modest stream yet with the aid of lades, numerous small dams and reservoirs built upstream for all year round supply, it powered several large cotton mills in Neilston and Barrhead during the UK's industrial revolution.

 

And gave it's name to the nearby vale and hospital, the grounds of which are open to the public. Leverndale Hospital above. First opened as Govan Asylum in the late 1800s it had expanded by the early 1900s to include the nearby Hawkhead House and further buildings on this site, renamed Hawkhead Mental Hospital then in the 1960s changed to Leverndale. 



 

I first knew about it, like most kids in Pollok I'd imagine, because the tower could be clearly seen from my local hillside in Nitshill, seen above, and natural curiosity when young asked the question 'what is that place?' Also, being the unenlightened 1960s, various parents would openly say to unruly children  in the street 'If you don't behave you will end up in Leverndale!' 


Most of the older stone buildings here have been converted into upmarket flats now so it makes an interesting and attractive walk. Having lived 60 plus years on the planet yet not suffered any real trauma or tragedy... yet.... I can easily see how circumstance or upbringing or stress could easily tip someone off kilter. Even without major drama occurring in my life I have contemplated suicide a few times. been depressed, and looking back at my younger self, especially during my teens and twenties... reflected at my state of mind in past decades.... and shudder inwardly. I realise in hindsight I did not always veer on the right side of sanity at times. (For example, some of my early solo kayak trips for instance, alone and paddling out into the open sea, miles from land, yet unable to do an Eskimo roll properly were very close cousins to suicide if I'd capsized at any point. I was so taken with my new toy however and the general euphoria of adventure and exploration I never thought about all the things that could go wrong) And work can have a habit of grinding you down as well....slowly... year by year. Like rolling a large boulder uphill from 16 to 66. 70 in the future apparently... unless you are French.


Part of the hospital is still a mental health facility but we were more interested to explore the grounds and older buildings converted into flats and the various scenic paths leading off in all directions from this hub.


I've not been here for many decades so it was all new. I did come here in the late 1960s as a youngster, several times, natural curiosity again proving irresistible. When you can see a mysterious tower lurking in the distance with hushed or not really well explained reputation it only builds up the desire to go there. I remember a long tiring walk from my house on foot then across several fields, marshy meadows, and thick dark woods after the Hurlet (in black plimsoll gym shoes probably as I don't think Adidas trainers had come in that early, (1968) or I didn't have a pair yet) I do remember it was very boggy underfoot and a herd of hefty cows had made hundreds of water filled holes in the mud that myself and a young friend fell into repeatedly so we were both repulsed and disgusted halfway to it. A solo trip a second time a year later during a heatwave summer succeeded but was again a disappointment. It was just a place to arrive at not a magical mystery destination after all. At that age I never thought of taking a bus directly to it. An early grail quest for a small 12 year old knight to puzzle out a fitting route that would really test me. Obviously I was going to include highlights on the way there like Hurlet Hill and The Bull Wood. ( This will become relevant during the next few posts recently undertaken at Easter)


Coal tit on bird feeder. Leverndale.


Quiet entry road up to Leverndale which sits on a modest hill.

 

Shaggy Inkcap mushrooms.

 

Shaggy inkcap in close up.


 Modern apartments and the central tower in 2020.

 

The main tower at Leverndale getting maintenance work. Finished now.
 


Pollok Civic Realm. You can get a train to Crookston Station or a bus to Silverburn Shopping Centre to explore Crookston Castle, Leverndale Hospital grounds, The nearby White Cart Water Walkway and Househill and Rosshall Parks... so plenty to do here in this vicinity.


Very pretty place in autumn colours.


And usually quiet.


Touch of red here.

 

Part of Househill Park in Pollok.


 

Tree lined streets in Pollok. Autumn 2020.

9 comments:

Carol said...

Nowt wrong with a spirit of adventure - I hope I never lose mine! Luckily, in later years, it seems to be getting stronger! :-)

Looks a lovely area with lots of trees (something we sadly lack in England) and the architecture is beautiful. We had what we called a 'loony bin' near us as kids - Menston. I'm sure we got threatened by the same with our parents... It's now also been turned into a housing estate - quite a posh one.

Anabel Marsh said...

We definitely live in a dear green place! I also look back on my mental state when young, teens and early twenties, and wonder sometimes how I got through to this. In the words of the song, I’m glad I’m not young anymore.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Carol,
I was always impressed by the number of mature trees in the Lake District. You must live in the only treeless section of it :o) I remember my caving and walking trips to Yorkshire though lacking much in the way of trees- Malham Cove- Ingleborough area.... though still very scenic.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Anabel,
The two greenest parts of the city are the West End and the south. You can definitely see that if you travel east or north, even with all the parks. Less trees overall when you look across them from a distance.

Carol said...

South Lakes has quite a few trees - North Lakes not very many. The Dales where I came from originally, have very few indeed.

But here in North Lakes, they're ripping out all the mature hedgerows the last couple of years - that's making the place look truly awful!

blueskyscotland said...

Good to know. Can't have birds, squirrels and hedgehogs crapping all over the place.

Kay G. said...

Ah, I love these autumnal photos. Autumn is my favorite, shh...don't tell Spring!
That shaggy inkcap mushroom, was that the right name? I love to see mushrooms, I might have almost fallen over taking photos of them. LOL!

Carol said...

We call them 'Lawyers Wig' mushrooms and they're superb to eat!

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Kay, yes they are unusual mushrooms. I'm not a fan of edible mushrooms. Don't like the texture or the taste.