Saturday 16 December 2023

Greenock Gourock Circular tour.

                                                   ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.

 

A walk suggested by Alan recently proved to be better than I expected, even though I've been in both towns many times. We parked along Greenock's Esplanade, seen here, above, then walked along it towards Gourock. It was a sunny but breezy day.

 

At the boat club building a few brave swimmers were bobbing around enjoying the December sea and the wind driven swells.


 

 

That was not our idea of fun at all but we did appreciate the wide open grassland setting of Battery Park, which came next, with a distant view of Tower Hill which was our eventual destination. (The small stone tower is just visible on the ridge line to the right of the tower block and our walk continues up that ridge line, trending right to left.

 

Gourock's main street came next. At the other end of this row of shops, seen above, a lane on the left leads upwards to the hill.


 

 

What I've always liked about these three towns, (Gourock, Greenock and Port Glasgow) is the way they cling to the hillsides like limpets in a rock pool, forced by the terrain to expand upwards rather than spread out sideways.


 Halfway along this main shore front street in Gourock a thin lane and stairs on left proceed to climb this hillside. Always a thrill to find this half hidden ascent unchanged as it's rarely known about or frequented by tourists, even today.

 

At the top of these stairs an arrow straight road leads directly inland and slightly downhill with houses on both sides but halfway along it another flight of stairs, on the right, leads to the summit of Tower Hill.


 


The view from Tower Hill is one of the best in Scotland. As seen here, looking across at Greenock's Lyle Hill. Walking to this other hill is also an option for a longer circular walk. (We started our walk near the white boat like structure, visible halfway along the higher patch of blue sea on the left then stuck to the coastal path around Gourock Bay to get to here.)

 

A container ship passing Battery Park. A Modern Santa. This was the white structure mentioned earlier.


 

Firth of Clyde Estuary, Portkil and Gallow Hill.


The mountains surrounding Greenock and Gourock.

 

A closer view of Santa. ( for the children.)  It's red and white... delivering loads of presents made in a faraway land.  It must be Santa.

 


Mountains and Strone Point.


 After enjoying the views we turned to look at the way ahead.

 

The stone cube of Inverclyde Hospital was an obvious landmark to head for as we both knew what sat beside it. The road up to it is at the left end of this row of tenements, which is why I include this photo. The grass path leads rightwards, running down along this wire fence in the photo then crosses several streets, making for the left hand end of these tenements to reach the hospital.


 

 

Considering this is still within the heart of Greenock it is amazing how wild parts of this highly unusual town can be. This network of trails surrounding Coves Reservoir beside Inverclyde Hospital being a case in point. Always loved this place since discovering it in the early 1970s.

 

Could be any wild remote beauty spot this place yet it's entirely within Greenock's town limits.


 


Two reservoirs in fact. With Clydeview Academy beside it, A town secondary school with outstanding views, as the name suggests.


 This is one modern school I do like the look of. Very bright and colourful.


 Luss Hills on the slow descent to the esplanade again.

 

MOD ship passing Gallow Hill. Plenty of water traffic in the Firth most days. An extra bonus on this walk.


 Oor Wullie. Greenock.


 

Bucket and spade memories of holidays down the coast sculpture. Gourock. A cracking and varied walk.... even today. Allow 3 to 4 hours depending on speed. An extra hour for including Lyle Hill. Both hills also great spots at nightfall for all the town lights twinkling on below, viewed from the summit. In winter it's dark by four or five pm so still safe enough to drive up and park on Lyle Hill for the outstanding night views. Only Oban comes close for night-time hilltop panoramas although you still have to be wary in both places by using common sense.  i.e. don't get out the car unless it feels quiet and safe. ( usually it is both empty and safe)


Victoria Tower. Yep. I'm a lifelong fan of all three Inverclyde towns.

 

 




6 comments:

Anabel Marsh said...

One of my little cousins lives opposite that slipway in your 4th photo down. (Not so little, he’s 28 and over 6 ft but you know what I mean! First cousin once removed, I think, officially).

Carol said...

Not sure I've ever been to any of those, although I've possibly driven through them. They look pretty interesting towns but, being me and hill-mad, I think I'm more likely to head off to those Luss Hills - which I still haven't done yet.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Anabel, one thing about living in Greenock /Gourock is that there's always something happening visually... large boats passing up and down the Clyde Estuary, wild life, cruise ships arriving and departing, snow in winter over the surrounding mountains, loads of local walks... and on our last walk a few days ago, still on the Clyde Estuary, spotting one of the rarest birds in Scotland.

blueskyscotland said...

I already know that Carol :o) One of the reasons I no longer go out walking with Alex and his group is that they only do a seemingly endless list of hills to the exclusion of everything else outdoors, which, despite doing the Munros, most of the Corbetts, and loads of Marilyns with him I never had that same lifelong hill list obsession as them. I was not keen on the early starts either, sometimes up at 5:00am in mid winter just to climb a hill that was starting to feel like a pointless exercise for me, although I did enjoy the more scenic or dramatic hills but a lot of them were just big frozen lumps in the middle of boggy grim wastelands that drained the soul. I prefer variety on walks and at least with Alan I get to go where I fancy sometimes. I have noticed that with hill-walking clubs though.. all they ever want to do is hill-walking... and nothing else.... which is the reason I was in so many clubs over the years trying to find similar folk to me with a wider outlook as I also liked cycling, skiing, kayaking, caving, town and city walks. beach walks. island hopping etc...Rather than spending my entire outdoor life following someone else's dream/idea of a good day out. It is "hill madness" like any other serious addiction. You would like the Luss Hills. Car Parking charges similar to the English Lakes these days at Luss.

Carol said...

Well I like doing other things - I just won't do non-hill-walking if I'm going for a walk. It doesn't seem to have a point to my mind.

I have to say I never do pre-dawn starts at any time of year - just not worth the extra cold for my poor chest - that really upsets it. I find it's better to get up later, set off in slightly warmer air and walk faster :-)

blueskyscotland said...

My point exactly. Well said.