Friday 31 May 2024

In Paradise. A May Walk down Overtoun Glen. Dumbartonshire. 2024.

                                                   ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.

                                


Alan and I liked our recent walk up the Lang Craigs so much  that a week later we were back again. I had remembered a walk I've not done for twenty years. It could have changed completely in that time, like many others revisited post pandemic, altered drastically mere years apart in some cases, from path to no path. When I moved over to this side of the River Clyde after staying in Pollok until I was 27 I soon found I had a new set of hills to explore instead of the Brownside Braes, above Paisley. The Kilpatricks running above Dumbarton, Clydebank, Faifley, and Bearsden. Most hill-walkers race up to the highest summits, which are very good admittedly, but now I'm getting on a bit in years I really relish the lower slopes as well which are delightful in their own way, often covered in yellow gorse, white hawthorn blossom, bluebell and wild garlic carpets, Nature's lush hedonism at warmer, lower climes. Which I've always loved since the age of five....seeing dandelions, clover and daisy carpets in the grass for the first time. And spellbound ever after. My first full summer outdoors.  Maybe I don't need religion because I've always had a guardian Angel with me. The natural world.  Friends have arrived, departed..., sometimes even arrived back again :o)... but nature is always constant in my life. A lifelong love affair. This is the Milton minor road going up to Overtoun House. Even the tarmac loop, seen here, to the house and back then a short A 82 link  between then is a scenic circular walk in itself up and around this grand estate. And as it's all on minor road tarmac it is very easy to follow. As you can see here. That's three classic walks from one location.


 In May especially the estate grounds of Overtoun House are a marvel. It was predicted to be a hot day for Scotland. 24 degrees, no wind, and sightly humid so I thought a well shaded gorge walk would be ideal. Parking at the side of the house car park we this time took a path down the gorge from the ornate stone bridge. Descending on a good path down the left hand side of the burn to the eventual road below, the A82.


Basically, on a path straight down the side of this tower. Keeping to this, left hand side, of the stone bridge.


The path at the side of Overtoun House back garden. Rhoddies so some left on the estate grounds after all. Hopefully these stay put.

 

As you descend under the mint green canopy of mature deciduous trees you are entering my own church. The original green cathedral. First and always for me. Trees. Each individual.


 Carpets of bluebells decorate the gorge. The legs of a camera shy Ent.

 

The descent from Overtoun House.


Garden abundance.


The smell of wild garlic is everywhere down here as the path crosses the burn via a wooden bridge. This gorge is over 100 foot deep in places and quite spectacular. A lesser known treasure of the Kilpatricks.


The sweetly enticing allure/scent of honeysuckle gives it away. Normally grows in hedgerows, bursting out to fill the evening air in rural country lanes. Another childhood memory of evening walks around Pollok with my parents in summer and wandering up into the Barrhead Dams area, pre teen age. Honeysuckle found there outside Barrhead for the first time... My Dad happy and relaxed as well, shirt sleeved and tattooed after coming out the army, still young then with a 40 year wage slave stint ahead of him, enjoying an occasional day off from the daily grind of working life, light and sunny to 9:00 pm for a couple of precious months. Treasured due to being fairly rare events.  Goosegogs too sometimes, though I prefer them out a tin with syrup rather than gobbled raw. Gooseberries is the other name. If this is not paradise I don't know what is.


Forest dwellers. You can already enter Heaven fairly easily. Have imagination. Personally I've always been happy living with the concept of a 'Goddess Syndrome.' It works for me. Serendipity, Isis, Demeter etc....

 

and behold... Lemon fungi.... never seen it before....

 

 

Halfway down we found a second stream entering the first... and a tunnel. A cool shady hollow. Tranquil spot.


A cracking wee exploration followed on slippy surfaces. But good fun.


 

The path follows the stream all the way down to the road then a short stretch along it to Strowan's Well Road where it follows the same Gruggies burn up the other bank and back to the house. Whereas the descending path stayed in the woods most of the way on the opposite bank it breaks out higher up into open meadows with fantastic views.



 

Looking down on Dumbarton.

 

And surprises. Roe Deer.


 


Climbing out the gorge.

 

Roe Deer Close Up.


A horse paradise as well.


Swallow on a wire. Not seen any for a while so this was nice.

 

 A different view. This upward path takes you round some of the estate.




 Which is also lovely... and much flatter.



In Paradise. May 2024.

 


 A varied walk indeed.

 


And after all that I had to make  myself an equally colourful meal. Lamb chops and assorted veg.


 


A perfect day. A Scottish version of Sakura.   Sayonara.

 


6 comments:

Carol said...

I thought only us Yorkshire and Lancashire folk said goosegogs! I have some goosegog bushes in my garden but they don't produce much - they're hell to pick too!

You're definitely a pagan with your worship of nature.

That looks a lovely walk - I'd have been up for an explore of the tunnel too...

Kay G. said...

So beautiful! You are truly lucky to live in such a spot.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Carol, The only time I've heard it was one of my same aged friends said it when we first found them. Not that common up here.

blueskyscotland said...

Thanks Kay. We are very lucky in Scotland. Weather fairly good, no poisonous bugs or reptiles to worry about, scenery very varied.

Anabel Marsh said...

You’re right, it’s lovely round Overtoun House. I recognise that mural from Paisley!

blueskyscotland said...

Doh!