Sunday 28 July 2024

In a Kingdom by the sea.

                                                   ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN


I awoke at dawn... one perfect morning... and travelled to a Kingdom by the sea.

 

Where bright Kniphofia and Delphinium reign supreme....


and Demeter, in all her glory, waits for me.


We walk...far, far out... onto the sea strand... where silver mer- maids and mer- men splash and frolic... leaving their fading footprints behind... for us to find...and follow...


in rapturous delight...of a perfect day ahead of us.


With distant views of a bold Atlantis....


shimmering like a mirage in the sand....


We walk through ancient civilizations and fading dreams....where gleaming ships were once produced.... on time...


 in forgotten days long past...


Suddenly....a dark opening appears...water cascading softly into the shadowy depths....from which her radiant daughter now ascends..... up crumbling spiral stairs.... to take her hand....


...our family group reunited again.


But neither land nor sea can ever claim us...      completely.


as we flit from realm to golden realm...


Each of us.....neither alive... nor dead....


.....or fuddled in the head....


simply happy to be out walking...


on this glorious July day....


of 24 degrees C....            :o)


....In that shimmering Kingdom by the sea.


 


Bored with potatoes or pasta recently I decided to swap over to rice meals every day for two weeks, usually mixed with a tin of chicken balti or here, above, with a jar of sweet and sour pineapple and mixed mild spices. The reason for the change was that I was reading The Beach by Alex Garland, a cult classic, and as they were eating rice every day in Thailand I thought I would get in character as well....complete immersion....with Daffy and Richard.... in that book... and steaming tropical jungle survival.................by steaming rice...

I do the same with music... every so often... bored with the music I've already heard... I search for true gems that sparkle.... and I often find them...been a fan of these siblings for years now...talent and treasure in abundance.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35w8jc  

Although 10,000 steps a day are not really my thing... I'd be demented after only a week of it... I read recently that for older folks 21 minutes of walking exercise a day was plenty to keep yourself fit. Even I could do that! Then a couple of weeks went by and I couldn't remember if it was 21 minutes a day or 21 minutes per week or 21 steps a day.... or 21 steps a week. That sounded much more fun and a genuine challenge.... so I'm attempting all three.   or maybe it was just one step every 10,000 years....?

9 comments:

Rosemary said...

An atmospheric post Bob which conjures up echoes of ancient mythology and then back down to earth with a bump and a bowl of rice with sweet and sour pineapple.
I had forgotten about that particular dish. I usually add a pieces of chicken. Must remember to make it again.
Carry on taking your usual walks and forget about the steps.

Kay G. said...

I am so much wanting to visit Scotland and your posts are just a feast for my eyes! I love your long walks in such beautiful settings. I take notice of my steps every day, but sometimes, I have to get them stomping around in my yard, or just walking around inside my house. In Georgia, you have to get out very early before it is too hot or before the thunder and lightning are a danger.

blueskyscotland said...

Thanks Rosemary, Got the idea of blending American poet and author Edgar Allan Poe, who spent some of his childhood at Irvine and Kilmarnock in Scotland.... with a beach setting and also the nature goddess of gold and green. Also a nod to his distant relatives in the musical link.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Kay, you would definitely like Edinburgh for it's cobbled streets, history, and architecture, also the east coast seaboard around Dunbar and North Berwick. Glasgow is OK but similar to any other big city location whereas Edinburgh is unique with it's volcanoes so close to it's centre. In summer it rarely gets above 24c here so pleasant for walking.
The musical link is also a slice of pure Georgia and a beautiful song I'd not heard before.
" Smarter than the average bear.... me. "

Anabel Marsh said...

Oh, you have become very poetic! I like rice, just had it tonight, and pasta too, and have both far more than potatoes. i do like a baked potato though.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Anabel, managed to work your name into this post as well... though that was purely coincidental. The name of the E.A.P poem I borrowed for this one. Smarter than the average bear...

Carol said...

I had a step counter for a while - 10000 steps isn't that many really. But I insist on at least an hour of exercise on really bad weather days and much more on good days! and I insist on every day too - I saw my father stiffen up very quickly indeed and don't wish to emulate him in that!

I pretty much hate rice but, thinking about it, only really white rice. I actually like wild rice and brown rice. Can't stand anything sweet on my savoury course though...

Talking of ships being produced on time - bet Calmac asked you to comment on that - they're still waiting for their latest islands ferries.

blueskyscotland said...

Hi Carol, Seen one of the new (borrowed) ferries coming into Troon a few days ago. M.V. Alfred, a stylish red catamaran. Apparently, our own new ferries might have to make Troon the new base for Arran as Ardrossan pier is out of action due to safety concerns. Troon car park used to be free to park. Now it's contactless payments only... and so is the toilets. No cash allowed. Expensive car parks are gradually appearing in Scotland now. Apparently following on from the south of England where you can pay up to £20 a day to park at crowded beauty spots down there. Welcome to the future. Paying far more for less. Needless to say we parked elsewhere.

blueskyscotland said...

By weird coincidence the film version of The Beach was on TV tonight so I watched it to see how it differed from the book. Saw it around 2o years ago and enjoyed it even more 2nd time around. Also liked Pure Shores by All Saints and William Orbit. Great summer holiday song. William Orbit also co- wrote and co- produced another film song I really liked around that time. Beautiful Stranger by Madonna.