Thursday 5 September 2024

An Unexpected Anniesland and Knightswood Walk.

                                                  ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.


An unexpected walk for two reasons. The first being that despite living in this general area for 40 years and visiting Anniesland almost weekly for shopping and in general I only discovered this new section last week. Normally I spot green ribbons of open ground really quickly, by using street maps and OS landranger maps but this one completely escaped me until now. The second reason being by using this newly discovered path an interesting and very varied longer circular walk is possible through an area that on first glance most people who live outside this area ( north west Glasgow from Anniesland to Clydebank) might not think there is a good walk here at all. The photo above shows an old gateway and cobbled path halfway down Glencoe Street, which is the first street up Bearsden Road from Anniesland Road. Normally old gate posts and a green mature tree oasis like this one means either a factory or a large detached manor house used to be here but even looking at old  maps online no sign of a large house or buildings in past times is apparent. So a mystery... to be solved perhaps.


You can see how close Anniesland Court/ tower is ( Scotland's tallest listed building at 22 floors high and A listed.) from this path yet in all the years I've lived here this is the first time walking along it. Incredible. After ongoing problems with the blog this discovery lifted my mood as well as getting Stephen King's latest book Fairy Tale for £1 and a boxed set of five Emmylou Harris CD LP's for £1 from an Anniesland charity shop. One of the first songs I learned all the words to then sung at late night parties/ events was Evangeline. I like the moody numbers about death, suicide, and madness and that song ticks all the boxes :o)


This green path continues up to the Fulton Street bridge and beyond. If a flying dragon had landed on the grass beside me and started talking to me I could not have been more amazed at finding this green ribbon as I've driven down Fulton Street and used the Library there ( now gone years ago) 100s of times in the last 40 years. 


It even had murals under the bridge when I've gone to the furthest outskirts of the city just to photograph similar hard won mural works. No idea these were here either.


The route then passed Netherton and Shafton which I was familiar with as I've passed them in the car many times but never walked this stretch  of green meadow either.


The hut at Netherton/Temple and a view of the playing fields beyond.


Which I followed on this right hand side shown until I reached Wilverton Road and the roundabout.


This roundabout. I'm giving detailed instructions here just because if I've missed this route staring me in the face for the last 40 years anyone might miss it and it does make an excellent circular semi urban walk from Anniesland. One I will do again, hopefully as I enjoyed it. The rest of the walk I am familiar with. By walking up Cowdenhill Road, other side of this roundabout, you reach Trinley Brae.  From Trinley Brae, a small hill with great views you have the option of several different routes. One leads down to the far end of  Trinley Brae at Rotherwood Avenue/ Banner Drive where you join the Forth and Clyde Canal tow path back to Anniesland Cross. 


This is Trinley Brae, where the line of white cottages are, viewed from the other hill in this district/area.


Knightswood Park, above and below.


Knightswood Park pond.


Path in Knightswood Park.

Another route follows Trinley Brae to the middle line of steps with railing leading down into Knightswood Park which is one of my favourites. It also has several extra parts to it with one section behind the new BMX centre, a path running from the pond through the woods to Lincoln Avenue at the edge of the golf course. Another section 'The Wee Park' runs along the other side of Knightswood Golf Course  to Dyke Road then back along Loanfoot Avenue to Lincoln Avenue and the High Rise Flats there.


   With wide open views across Knightswood Golf Course, also used in Still Game Episodes along with Trinley Brae and South Nitshill ( Very first episode and most of series one.)


Loanfoot Avenue here, above. All these walk variations are very pleasant.


 You also have the option of passing through or beside the Lincoln Avenue High Rise Flats for even more variety and a second small hill climb with views over the city.


And this second hill, Pikeman Road, is equally delightful (most of the street names in Knight's wood have a medieval/ Robin Hood feel as the Templars supposedly had a castle here. Hence Temple, Athelstane, Kestrel, Pikeman, Baldric, Thane, Saxon, Turret, etc... and even today it still has a lot of mature trees. The great 'Wood of the Knights'. I've been very lucky with both main locations I've lived in as both Pollok and this north west side of the city are very green and leafy. And loads of ups and downs. Small hills with smashing views. And occasionally a stray dog for company .... and  'lashings of ginger beer'....


A view from Pikeman Road looking across at Trinley Brae. Both hills are easy to do along with Knightswood Park, the Forth and Clyde Canal, and my newly discovered path from Anniesland Cross. Allow 3 to 4 hours depending on route variations. On a good sunny day fine varied walking potential.


Left to right. Drumchapel tenements, Blairdardie Hi Rise Flats, Drumchapel High rise pair.


Blairdardie hi rise flats  on Keal Avenue and another route onto the Forth and Clyde Canal from Trinley Brae. So many different options here.

4 comments:

Carol said...

I'd say the first song I learnt the words to at evening parties was probably Barnacle Bill! But I was in the Forces I suppose

blueskyscotland said...

Don't know that one. I take it that was a naughty version. I see its online so I'll hear it later. I also tried learning Hotel California, American Pie, and Ode to Billie Joe but far too many verses and folk get restless after three verses of anything unless you're really good at it.

Anabel Marsh said...

I think the first bit you describe might be Temple Walkway and Anniesland Meadow? I remember finding them in lockdown but I never went further and don’t know Trinity Brae. I’ll need to get a map and match it up with your post to work it all out!

blueskyscotland said...

I remember you blogging about going there Anabel so you might well have been. I've visited the open grassy squares and rectangles around the nearby Sutcliffe Street but this green oasis lies between the Great Western Road tenements and Glencoe Street with no way out of it until Fulton Street which is why I've never stumbled across it before. If you've not been Knightswood Park and the two adjacent hills (Trinley Brae and Pikeman Road) are the real prize though for an interesting walk with views. Free parking beside Knightswood Park Pond and surrounding streets. The tree lined street that runs through the park used to be quiet and beautiful until they built the BMX centre and narrowed the road down but I suppose I have 100s of memories of walking along it through the park at night under the stars or full moon to look back on. One of the most beautiful roads in Glasgow back then. Gutted when they changed it. Similar but even better than Mosspark Boulevard is now.