ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.
As a murky day was predicted for this walk... frequent showers over the higher ground, drier at lower levels, thick grey cloud cover... we, Alan and I, decided on an old favourite. The circuit of Knapps Loch and Glen Moss. Parking in the large layby beside Knapps Loch we started out on familiar ground. One thing about nature though is that it will always surprise you, especially in summer.
A large flock of Canada Geese sat on the loch this time around.
Then I noticed beside a stream ... a tiny common frog. Sitting beside a bird dropping unfortunately.
Tadpoles in a pool. A mysterious world fascinating as a child yet equally fascinating as an adult with a much deeper understanding of the natural world surrounding us. The Mandelbrot set and many others, seen throughout nature and classical architecture.
Even on a circuit of the loch as familiar as this one was to us we managed to stumble onto a different route. You can go round the loch itself on a grass path easily enough but this time, at the far end of the loch we found this wood with a path through it. Seen below.
A path that took us away from the local dog walkers and onto 'the road less travelled.'
Down into a dip/hollow then up the other side to one of the small hills in the area for a viewpoint.
Good views over the surrounding scenery on the Renfrewshire/ Inverclyde borderlands.
On top of this hill we had a few spots of rain but still dry enough for a seat up here to admire this 'greenhill country.' An early lunch break... and a brief rest.
And no lunch break in lush grasslands in summer countryside would be complete without a cleg or two. One on my rucksack here. This is a notch horned cleg or horsefly. If I'd known it was going to land here I'd have brushed my rucksack first to get rid of the grass/ hay.
As fly species go it is a handsome wee critter, almost camouflage markings. Which is apt given that the females have a nasty bite, a bigger more powerful version of Scottish midges.
Looking back towards the Renfrewshire ridgelands. We however headed cross country towards Kirkton Farm to pick up the minor yellow road (OS Landranger map 63 Firth of Clyde) which would take us to Glen Moss, a nature reserve.
This is it here. A view from the bird watching platform.
Before that however we spotted these harebells...
and this Yarrow.
And Alan spotted these tiny flies on a wooden post. Each fly keeping its own personal space around it. Nature does follow precise mathematical rules. Without knowing it is doing it, of course... even humans. As in any stranger getting too close to you.... instinctively you back off, uncomfortable, until that space is wider again. Same here, apparently, with tiny creatures.
The way back led us through Kilmacolm, one of my favourite places- an upmarket village with the original village centre still intact but surrounded by a hinterland of large detached houses and beautiful gardens. Took this as I didn't recognise this flowering tree. It's a Manna Ash.
and later on... a blue lacecap hydrangea.... I had seen these before in gardens but never looked it up. Slightly different from the normal hydrangea.
Parasol type fungi. Amanita family maybe.
Bracket fungi. A fairy cup. A pool of fresh rainwater inside.
Kilmacolm village view. The local shops.
Kilmacolm church.
back in our respective houses I had a further treat... for myself. Funnily enough the only thing I didn't like here was the mango mousse. Although I like the actual fruit this was just too sweet and creamy for me. The chicken skewers were amazing though, especially the roasted tomato and balsamic dip. Very moreish. Which is why its empty... once I tasted it in the car ......I was gone :o). And believe it or not I had never tasted broccoli before... but now I am hooked on the sweet stem variety as seen here. So even on a tight budget you can still have fun.
that evening the sun made an appearance. And so did a harlequin lady bird, climbing up my deck chair in the garden. Even tiny things leave a big impression.
And I'm working my way around the Viking countries singer songwriters at the moment....New music. this was a huge dance club hit but I'd never heard it until recently. It's good and an excellent colour filled spectacular video.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kcwa1
























No comments:
Post a Comment