Friday, 9 October 2026

Staying in Glasgow for Tourists in 2026.

                                                  ALL PHOTOS CLICK FULL SCREEN.


From practical experience I've thought for over a decade that new arrivals visiting Glasgow might prefer to stay in the Anderston/ Finnieston area of the city rather than the city centre itself... or if you have stayed in Glasgow city centre before and this here is a new area for you... maybe give it a try. Like most city and town centres these days online shopping, outlying retail parks and other methods of buying goods have impacted many bricks and mortar stores hard in the UK. Also numerous bikes, city centre roads dug up for years, and various other things mean that I'm usually underwhelmed/ disappointed by Glasgow City Centre currently. And I do love my city. Mind you I am not a regular shopper. I get everything I need out of local charity/thrift shops often for a tenth of the price. I got the bus this time to St Vincent Street but you can also get off at Anderston Train Station for Glasgow's latest mural splurge under The Kingston Bridge. See above.


A map showing the footpath cycletrack from Glasgow City Centre to Balloch/ Loch Lomond, a small part of which I did on foot for this post. I am proud of Glasgow but no harm in cherry picking the best bits on offer within the city.


I noticed on Facebook that new murals I had not yet visited had been painted under the Kingston Bridge crossing the River Clyde so this offered a good walk along the river waterfront to either Partick, The Hydro and Govan, or Byres Road and Kelvingrove. Each only a few miles away and this is a scenic walk, or bike run. 


These pillars always did look a bit drab, although I liked the primitive bare mega structure quality of them. Now many are getting a makeover. As the latest Batman film was being made under the bridge, mostly at night,  they had to remove some then repaint them again later afterwards. I've zero interest in the numerous superhero films coming out of Hollywood at the moment so seeing elements of that here didn't appeal much only puzzled me, even though the artificial snow, the black crashed bat mobile etc.. surprised me and so did the security guard guiding me away. It was only later I realised why that was online. Apparently 100s of films/ TV productions have been made partly in Glasgow over the past ten years or so. It's pretty boring though most of the time as a spectator. I watched Brad Pitt film World War Z and Halle Berry film Cloud Atlas years ago but that mild interest only lasted 10-15 minutes each time. It was a doors open day in sunny September so I had plenty of other places to be that day. I prefer just watching the films.


Plenty to see mural wise.


They were still painting them using cherry pickers when I left. So loads I haven't photographed yet.


Made by the same group of local and international artists that do the murals at SWG3 near Partick.


This diving mermaid being my favourite here so far.


I like this part of the city as it looks like a modern city should look. Futuristic. The Anderston Centre. True there are many fine old buildings and brand new hotels and banks in Glasgow city centre currently but I've seen them all before... in better nick. Walking west from here along the north bank of the River Clyde inspires me more. Marriott and Hilton Hotels located here.


New buildings going up all over the place, yet ironically less dug up roads, less food bikes, less rough sleepers and much cleaner. City Wharf here. A proud walk for me personally as I like showing off the better bits of my city. And a flat easy walk full of interest.


Lancefield Quay and the remains of an old river ferry landing dock. Or boat dock. Glasgow could do far more with its river. Small slow low passenger ferries going down stream instead of speedboat ribs. They used to have one. I've been on it several times. This walk is also spectacular at night with the light reflections on a still evening.. In wintertime when its dark by 4-5-6pm it's still safe enough with workers going home along it.


And this is where the hotels come in. Radisson Red, The Courtyard, Moxy Hotel and a few others here all in Finnieston District. Finnieston Street. And right next to them 5 minutes walk away along the river path....


The Crowne Plaza Hotel, Bells Bridge, an Imax Theatre, ...Glasgow Science Centre, Glasgow Tower ( when it works) Festival Park...I spotted Dolly Parton here one time fixing my bike near her tour bus. Got a wave and a smile and waved back but didn't speak to her. Too busy repairing a puncture and celebrities deserve a break from attention, just like the rest of us. More my parents taste in music anyway. I like Miley though. Great voice.


The Armadillo, seen here, The SECC, .... Crowne Plaza hotel....


The OVO Hydro... all a short distance apart. Most cost money though. 30 minutes walk further on up the same flat scenic river path you have the Tall Ship Glenlee and The Riverside Museum. ( Transport through the ages and an indoor period street.) Keeping the moths firmly enclosed in my pockets this time I carried on to the next set of murals at SWG3 a set of painted railway arches and a painted lane behind them. On Eastvale Place/ Pointhouse right beside the Clydeside Expressway.


Fish Bus. SWG3 Eastvale Lane.


Loads of new artworks here which change frequently in the back lane, every six months or so. SWG3 Yardworks. Art venues, small galleries, music etc...


Assorted Devils...


If the Statue of Liberty stood in the River Clyde this is probably what it would look like. Someone would find a way to get a traffic cone up there.


Superhero stuff.


Utility street box. I liked this one. I bought a pack of 3 pair walking socks last week. Been buying them for 30 years. Always the same type.... good quality. Thick and padded. This time twice the price yet half the padded thickness. JCB £7 a pack. Several other things from local Morrisons. Underwear etc. Twice the price- nothing like as good as last years product. I came out looking like these clouds. Such is modern life in 2026. 


The Radisson Red at Finnieston looks red straight on.... doing up the old rotunda tunnel entrance here.


Same building yet it turns green from another angle. Bar on the roof visible in both photos.


To finish this easy walk I went up Sandyford Street next to the mural lane at Eastvale Place then left into Yorkhill Park under Yorkhill Hospital. A green corridor that took me out at Partick.


West Village Student Flats. And in Partick you have modern buildings, old period buildings, Dumbarton Road and Byres Road independent shops. Byres Road lanes and bars district, The University of Glasgow Campus and Hunterian Art Gallery (free to get in.) Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery (suggested donations box entry) Kelvingrove Park, (free) Botanic Gardens ( free) Kelvin Walkway ( free gorge walk) U of G Modern art Gallery and C. R. Macintosh House. Oran Mor church venue, Cottiers church venue. Dozens of bars, clubs etc. Hundreds of shops... all of which currently appear to have bucked the trend of online shopping habits.  It's a busy vibrant place with bags to do. Bus, railway and underground hub in Partick also. 5 to 15 minutes ride into Glasgow City Centre if you really want to see it in all its glory. But you don't have to. This post is an alternative to that. 

I find music I haven't heard before in all sorts of different places. This 5 minute song just seems to perfectly suit the crew of The Normandy as they explore the star systems of deep space. Keeping up the modern theme. No Light No Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGvCKZ04oFk&list=RDTGvCKZ04oFk&start_radio=1

No comments: